Are you a writer struggling to keep track of ideas, research, and drafts? As a content writer myself, I know firsthand how difficult it can be to stay organized and productive. But with the right Notion template, writers like us can streamline our workflows and focus on what matters most: the writing itself.
In this article, I’ll share the best Notion templates that help writers efficiently organize ideas, take notes, and plan projects. Regardless of your genre, you’ll find templates tailored for fiction, nonfiction, technical, and academic writing.
How Is Notion Useful for Writers?
I’ve found Notion to be a great tool for staying organized and productive. Here are some of the key features that make Notion so useful for writing workflow:
- Markdown support: The built-in text editor supports Markdown, allowing you to format your drafts with headings, lists, links, images, and more. This helps me write in Notion and then copy the content to WordPress without worrying about losing the formatting.
- Collaboration: Notion makes it easy to collaborate with editors. You can share the Notion page with others and let them give feedback using comments right in the document. The history feature allows you to track changes and revert back if needed.
- Content calendar: The calendar database lets you create a content calendar to schedule and visualize deadlines, meetings, launches, and more.
- Habit tracker: You can use it to track writing habits like daily word count and time spent writing, as well as set reminders and notifications.
- Resource hub: Notion is great for storing all writing reference materials. You can bookmark helpful websites, import PDFs of research papers, and collect images all in one place.
- Notion AI: If you ever hit writer’s block, Notion AI helps you expand on ideas or even summarize long-form pieces.
Now that we’ve explored the benefits of using Notion for writers, let’s dive into some of the best Notion templates available to help streamline your writing process.
Best Notion Templates for Writers
1. The Pitch Perfect System
The Pitch Perfect System is a dedicated template for freelance writers who want to streamline their pitching process and increase their chances of getting published.
- A dashboard that shows your ideas, pitches, assignments, goals, and progress in one place.
- A workflow framework that guides you from ideation to publication with ease.
- Connected databases that help you find the best publications and editors for your pitches and track your pitch history.
- Workspace templates that automate your admin tasks and provide consistent information for your ideas, publications, and editors.
2. Notion Writer’s Hub
The Notion Writer’s Hub is a template that helps writers organize, manage, and improve their writing projects.
- Writing dashboard to view and update all your writing projects in one place.
- Writing progress tracker to set and track your writing goals, and milestones, and stay accountable.
- Project building template to guide you from idea to completion, with sections for outline, draft, revision, and feedback.
- Writing Time and Daily Word Count Tracker to record your writing and analyze your productivity patterns.
- Resources Hub to store and access your research materials, resources, and references for your writing projects.
3. The Modern Writer
The Modern Writer is a template designed to support book writers through every stage of the writing process.
- A central writing canvas where you can draft chapters, scenes, and synopsis.
- Chapters dashboard with progress bars and star-based ratings to track how close the chapter is to its final form.
- Quick access to ideas, moodboards, and outlines to give you inspiration when needed.
4. Minimalist Distraction-Free Writing Workspace
Focus on your writing with this clean, minimal, and distraction-free template.
- Create and manage writing sessions with Projects, Research, Characters, and Process databases.
- Move your project through different stages of planning, drafting, revising, and editing
- Organize your writing resources in one place.
- Build detailed character profiles with personality traits, appearance, background, and more.
5. Blogging Manager
Blogging Manager is specifically created for blog writers to organize and manage their blogs in one place.
- Write, schedule, and plan blog posts using a calendar view and a Kanban board.
- Bookmark resources such as articles, videos, podcasts, and websites that inspire you or help you with your research.
- List contacts such as editors, collaborators, sponsors, and influencers that you want to reach out to or work with.
- Save blog assets such as fonts, logos, colors, and images that you use for your branding and design.
- Quickly access all your blog essentials such as social media accounts, analytics tools, email lists, and monetization platforms.
6. Aesthetic Notion Second Brain for Writers
Second Brain for Writers is designed for writers who want to store and manage their notes, ideas, projects, and habits in one place.
- A Dashboard with multiple databases includes a writing routine, a playlist, a Pomodoro timer, a project tracker, a reading list, a content database, a contact database, an inspiration database, and a habit tracker.
- A Project Planner with four hubs: Planning, Outline & Timeline, Revisions, and Editing. Each hub includes templates and guides to help you plan, write, revise, and edit your project.
- A Character Hub and a Settings Hub to help you create and develop your characters.
- A Research and Resources Hub to help you collect and organize your research and resources for your projects.
7. W. I. P. – Advanced System for Novel Writers
W. I. P. is an advanced template to the minimal Writer template mentioned above. It allows you to manage multiple novel writing projects, from research to editing.
- A dashboard overview of all your writing projects, with progress bars, word count goals, and estimated reading time.
- A kanban board to track the stages of your project, from planning to final.
- A word count tracker that automatically calculates your daily word goal based on your target date and length.
➡ Get the W. I. P. – Advanced System for Novel Writers