Wondering how to insert a table in Notion? This tutorial is all you need.
In Notion, one of the best ways to organize and view data is by using a table. When you use a table, it's easier to understand and think about the numbers. This makes it easier to present and analyze the data.
Notion comes with different types of tables, and users often get confused as to which type of table to use.
In this article, we'll look at how to quickly add the right type of table into your workspace.
How To Add a Simple Table on a Notion Page
A simple table is a stripped-down version of a database table that lacks spreadsheet-like features like sorting, filtering, and grouping. This table block primarily serves to display data in a table.
That said, let's look at how you can create a simple table in Notion.
1. Adding a Simple Table
- To add a simple table, open the Notion page on which you wish to add a table and move your cursor to the beginning of the line, and tap on the “+” icon. Alternatively, you can use
- This will open a popup showing the available Notion blocks. Scroll down and under Basic Blocks section, click on the “table” option.
To adjust the table size on your Notion page, you can change it from a compact view to a full-width size by customizing it.
If you wish to match the table size with your Notion page, here is how you can do it:
- Move your mouse cursor to the top of your newly added table and you'll see three options appear.
- Tap on the “table width” icon, and the table size will change accordingly from compact size to full width and vice versa.
2. Adding Row and Columns to a Simple Table
On your Notion page, you can now see a table, but it is still an empty table with lines that require some formatting and values to make it clearer.
For adding values, it is necessary to add rows and columns; so here are the steps on how to do it.
- Move the mouse cursor on your table toward the end of columns and rows.
- You'll see a plus icon at the end. Click on it to add a column or row.
- Alternatively, you can also find a “drag icon” at both the column's and row's end, using which you can seamlessly add any number of columns and rows.
3. Deleting Columns and Rows in Simple Table
Most times, users create more rows and columns than required and might want to remove them later.
There are two ways you can delete columns and rows in a table. Let's look at both cases closely.
Deleting columns and rows in the table from ends,
- Drag your mouse cursor to the column and row end on the table.
- Now, using the drag icon, move the cursor inwards to delete rows and columns.
Deleting columns and rows in the table from between,
- Move the cursor toward the end of the row and column you wish to delete.
- Tap on the select icon, and you will see an option to delete the row or column.
How To Create a Database Table on a Notion Page
Database table is different than a simple table as it is made for more complex tasks. It comes with powerful features such as database custom properties, relationships between different tables, formulas to perform calculations and create dynamic content and much more.
Let's look at how to add a database table and work with it.
1. Adding a Database Table on the Notion Page
- To add a database table, open a Notion page and tap on the “+” icon and select the “Table view” option under the databases section.
- Notion will ask you to select an existing data source to populate your table or you can create a new database and populate it with content.
Based on your selection, Notion will create a table database that you can customize further.
2. Inserting Rows and Columns Into the Database Table
- On the database table, you can find the “+” icon at both the column's and row's end.
- Tap on the “+” icon on the column end, and you can find an option to select the property type and label; choose the suitable option, and a new column will be added. What's unique about Notion database table is that you can have different properties as columns. This makes the table visually appealing and takes it to another level.
- Similarly, to add a row, look for the “
+” or “
New” label at the end; tap on it, and a new row will be added to the database.
3. Deleting Rows and Columns in Database Table
- To delete a row or column, move the cursor to the end of the row or column that you wish to delete.
- Now, right-click on the row or column, and you can find the “Delete property” option.
- Click on Delete property, and the particular row and column will be deleted.
How To Turn a Simple Table Into a Database Table
We now know how to create a table or database on a Notion page. But, can you turn a simple table into a database? The answer is yes, and here's how you can do it.
- Navigate to the simple table that you wish to turn into a database.
- Now, move the cursor on the simple table and you can find a three-dot menu at the top menu of the table; click on it.
- From all the options list, select the “Turn into Database” option from the list and your table will be converted into a database.
Wrapping Up: How To Add a Table in Notion
There are two types of tables in Notion, and you can easily add them by following the above steps.
Both types have different use cases, as the Simple Table can only be used for presentation and the Database Table can be used to organize your data.
Overall, using tables in Notion is a powerful tool that allows users to organize and manage their information in a clear and visually appealing way.